Department of Public Health Sciences
| Associate Professor, PhD|
Division of Biostatistics
|Susan Stewart's research interests and activities include statistical methods and issues in cancer, population-based research, quality of life, health disparities, behavioral interventions, study design and data quality.
Stewart has served as national biostatistical director and program evaluator for the Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research and Training (AANCART), and chaired a group determining reporting measures across all 23 such Community Network Program Centers funded by the National Cancer Institute's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities.
Her select recent undertakings also include quality-of-life analyses in breast cancer patients and assessments of behavioral interventions for breast and colorectal cancers, hepatitis B and smoking cessation. Stewart is also addressing cross- cutting statistical issues in a multi-center longitudinal study, and investigating effects of geographical clustering on the variance of parameter estimates in community intervention trials.
|Ph.D., Statistics, University of California, Berkeley, 1987|
|M.A., Statistics, University of California, Berkeley, 1982|
|A.B. , Applied Mathematics, University of California, Berkeley, 1974|
|International Biometric Society, 1995-Current|
|American Public Health Association, 1992-Current|
|American Statistical Association, 1984-Current|
- Hsu L, Bowlus CL, Stewart SL, Nguyen TT, Dang J, Chan B, Chen MS Jr. (2013). Electronic messages increase hepatitis B screening in at-risk Asian American patients: a randomized, controlled trial. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 58(3):807-814.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Napoles AM, Hwang ES, Livaudais JC, Karliner L, Kaplan CP. (2013). Quality of life of Latina and Euro-American women with ductal carcinoma in situ. Psychooncology, 22(5):1008-16.
- Maxwell AE, Stewart SL, Glenn BA, Wong WK, Yasui Y, Chang LC, Taylor VM, Nguyen TT, Chen MS, Bastani R. (2012). Theoretically informed correlates of hepatitis B knowledge among four Asian groups: the health behavior framework. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 13(4):1687-1692.
- Pasick RJ, Kagawa-Singer M, Stewart SL, Pradhan A, Kidd SC. (2012). The Minority Training Program in Cancer Control Research: impact and outcome over 12 years. Journal of Cancer Education, 27(3):443-449.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Oakley-Girvan I, Banks PJ, Shema S. (2012). Quality of life of younger breast cancer survivors: persistence of problems and sense of well-being. Psychooncology, 21(6):655-65.
- Joseph G, Kaplan C, Luce J, Lee R, Stewart S, Guerra C, Pasick R. (2012). Efficient identification and referral of low-income women at high risk for hereditary breast cancer: a practice-based approach. Public Health Genomics, 15(3-4):172-80.
- Sarkar M, Stewart S, Yu A, Chen MS, Nguyen TT, Khalili M. (2012). Hepatocellular carcinoma screening practices and impact on survival among hepatitis B-infected Asian Americans. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 19(8):594-600.
- Benowitz NL, Dains KM, Hall SM, Stewart S, Wilson M, Dempsey D, Jacob P 3rd. (2012). Smoking behavior and exposure to tobacco toxicants during 6 months of smoking progressively reduced nicotine content cigarettes. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 21(5):761-9.
- Chou AF, Stewart SL, Wild RC, Bloom JR. (2012). Social support and survival in young women with breast carcinoma. Psychooncology, 21(2):125-33.
- Livaudais JC, Hwang ES, Karliner L, Nápoles A, Stewart S, Bloom J, Kaplan CP. (2012). Adjuvant hormonal therapy use among women with ductal carcinoma in situ. Journal of Women's Health, 21(1):35-42.
- Kaplan CP, Karliner LS, Hwang ES, Bloom J, Stewart S, Nickleach D, Quinn J, Thrasher A, Nápoles AM. (2011). The effect of system-level access factors on receipt of reconstruction among Latina and white women with DCIS. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 129(3):909-17.
- Khalili M, Guy J, Yu A, Li A, Diamond-Smith N, Stewart S, Chen M Jr, Nguyen T. (2011). Hepatitis B and hepatocellular carcinoma screening among Asian Americans: survey of safety net healthcare providers. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 56(5):1516-23.
- Kaplan CP, Nápoles AM, Hwang ES, Bloom J, Stewart S, Nickleach D, Karliner L. (2011). Selection of treatment among Latina and non-Latina white women with ductal carcinoma in situ. Journal of Women's Health, 20(2):215-23.
- Lo P, Fang DM, Ly MY, Stewart S, Lee S, Chen MS Jr. (2010). Access to adequate healthcare for Hmong women: a patient navigation program to increase Pap test screening. Hmong Studies Journal , 11:1-29.
- Kwong SL, Stewart SL, Aoki CA, Chen MS Jr. (2010). Disparities in hepatocellular carcinoma survival among Californians of Asian ancestry, 1988 to 2007. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 19(11):2747-57.
- Fang DM, Lee S, Stewart S, Ly MY, Chen MS Jr. (2010). Factors associated with pap testing among Hmong women. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 21(3):839-50.
- Nguyen TT, McPhee SJ, Stewart S, Gildengorin G, Zhang L, Wong C, Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Taylor VM, Chen MS Jr. (2010). Factors associated with hepatitis B testing among Vietnamese Americans. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 25(7):694-700.
- Nguyen BH, Pham JT, Chew RA, McPhee SJ, Stewart SL, Doan HT. (2010). Effectiveness of continuing medical education in increasing colorectal cancer screening knowledge among Vietnamese American physicians. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 21(2):568-81.
- Hade EM, Murray DM, Pennell ML, Rhoda D, Paskett ED, Champion VL, Crabtree BF, Dietrich A, Dignan MB, Farmer M, Fenton JJ, Flocke S, Hiatt RA, Hudson SV, Mitchell M, Monahan P, Shariff-Marco S, Slone SL, Stange K, Stewart SL, Strickland PA. (2010). Intraclass correlation estimates for cancer screening outcomes: estimates and applications in the design of group-randomized cancer screening studies. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Monographs, 2010(40):97-103.
- Nguyen BH, McPhee SJ, Stewart SL, Doan HT. (2010). Effectiveness of a controlled trial to promote colorectal cancer screening in Vietnamese Americans. American Journal of Public Health, 100(5):870-6.
- Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Chen MS Jr, Nguyen TT, Stewart SL, Taylor VM. (2010). Constructing a theoretically based set of measures for liver cancer control research studies. Preventive Medicine, 50(1-2):68-73.
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Taylor VM, Chen MS Jr, Nguyen TT, Stewart SL, Maxwell AE. (2010). Integrating theory into community interventions to reduce liver cancer disparities: The Health Behavior Framework. Preventive Medicine, 50(1-2):63-7.
- Stewart SL, Rakowski W, Pasick RJ. (2009). Behavioral constructs and mammography in five ethnic groups. Health education & behavior : the official publication of the Society for Public Health Education, 36(5 Suppl):36s-54s.
- Pasick RJ, Burke NJ, Barker JC, Joseph G, Bird JA, Otero-Sabogal R, Tuason N, Stewart SL, Rakowski W, Clark MA, Washington PK, Guerra C. (2009). Behavioral theory in a diverse society: like a compass on Mars. Health education & behavior : the official publication of the Society for Public Health Education, 36(5 Suppl):11s-35s.
- Benowitz NL, Dains KM, Hall SM, Stewart S, Wilson M, Dempsey D, Jacob P 3rd. (2009). Progressive commercial cigarette yield reduction: biochemical exposure and behavioral assessment. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 18(3):876-83.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, D'Onofrio CN, Luce J, Banks PJ. (2008). Addressing the needs of young breast cancer survivors at the 5 year milestone: can a short-term, low intensity intervention produce change? Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 2(3):190-204.
- Hiatt RA, Pasick RJ, Stewart S, Bloom J, Davis P, Gardiner P, Luce J. (2008). Cancer screening for underserved women: the Breast and Cervical Cancer Intervention Study. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 17(8):1945-9.
- Horn-Ross PL, Lee VS, Collins CN, Stewart SL, Canchola AJ, Lee MM, Reynolds P, Clarke CA, Bernstein L, Stram DO. (2008). Dietary assessment in the California Teachers Study: reproducibility and validity. Cancer Causes Control, 19(6):595-603.
- Nguyen BH, McPhee SJ, Stewart SL, Doan HT. (2008). Colorectal cancer screening in Vietnamese Americans. Journal of Cancer Education, 23(1):37-45.
- Benowitz NL, Hall SM, Stewart S, Wilson M, Dempsey D, Jacob P 3rd. (2007). Nicotine and carcinogen exposure with smoking of progressively reduced nicotine content cigarette. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 16(11):2479-85.
- Livaudais JC, Napoles-Springer A, Stewart S, Kaplan CP. (2007). Understanding Latino adolescent risk behaviors: parental and peer influences. Ethnicity & Disease , 17(2):298-304.
- Lai CJ, Nguyen TT, Hwang J, Stewart SL, Kwan A, McPhee SJ. (2007). Provider knowledge and practice regarding hepatitis B screening in Chinese-speaking patients. Journal of Cancer Education, 22(1):37-41.
- Otero-Sabogal R, Stewart S, Shema SJ, Pasick RJ. (2007). Ethnic differences in decisional balance and stages of mammography adoption. Health Education & Behavior, 34(2):278-96.
- Chen MS Jr, Shinagawa SM, Bal DG, Bastani R, Chow EA, Ho RC, Jones L, McPhee SJ, Senie R, Taylor V, Kagawa-Singer M, Stewart S, Koh HK, Li FP. (2006). Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training's legacy. The first 5 years. Cancer, 107(8 Suppl):2006-14.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Oakley Girvan I, Banks PJ, Chang S. (2006). Family history, perceived risk, and prostate cancer screening among African American men. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 15(11):2167-73.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Chang S, You M. (2006). Effects of a telephone counseling intervention on sisters of young women with breast cancer. Preventive medicine, 43(5):379-84.
- Yancey AK, Kagawa-Singer M, Ratliff P, Valdez A, Jiménez L, Banks P, Stewart S, Roe KM, Pasick RJ. (2006). Progress in the pipeline: replication of the minority training program in cancer control research. Journal of Cancer Education, 21(4):230-6.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Hancock SL. (2006). Breast cancer screening in women surviving Hodgkin disease. American Journal of Clinical Oncology , 29(3):258-266.
- Fobair P, Stewart SL, Chang S, D'Onofrio C, Banks PJ, Bloom JR. (2006). Body image and sexual problems in young women with breast cancer. Psychooncology, 15(7):579-97.
- Horn-Ross PL, Barnes S, Lee VS, Collins CN, Reynolds P, Lee MM, Stewart SL, Canchola AJ, Wilson L, Jones K. (2006). Reliability and validity of an assessment of usual phytoestrogen consumption (United States). Cancer Causes & Control, 17(1):85-93.
- Engelstad LP, Stewart S, Otero-Sabogal R, Leung MS, Davis PI, Pasick RJ. (2005). The effectiveness of a community outreach intervention to improve follow-up among underserved women at highest risk for cervical cancer. Preventive Medicine, 41(3-4):741-8.
- Livaudais JC, Kaplan CP, Haas JS, Pérez-Stable EJ, Stewart S, Jarlais GD. (2005). Lifestyle behavior counseling for women patients among a sample of California physicians. Journal of Women's Health, 14(6):486-95.
- Glaser SL, Clarke CA, Keegan TH, Gomez SL, Nugent RA, Topol B, Stearns CB, Stewart SL. (2004). Attenuation of social class and reproductive risk factor associations for Hodgkin lymphoma due to selection bias in controls. Cancer Causes & Control, 15(7):731-9.
- Somkin CP, McPhee SJ, Nguyen T, Stewart S, Shema SJ, Nguyen B, Pasick R. (2004). The effect of access and satisfaction on regular mammogram and Papanicolaou test screening in a multiethnic population. Medical Care, 42(9):914-26.
- Davis S, Stewart S, Bloom J. (2004). Increasing the accuracy of perceived breast cancer risk: results from a randomized trial with Cancer Information Service callers. Preventive Medicine, 39(1):64-73.
- Kaplan CP, Crane LA, Stewart S, Juarez-Reyes M. (2004). Factors affecting follow-up among low-income women with breast abnormalities. Journal of Women's Health, 13(2):195-206.
- Glaser SL, Gulley ML, Borowitz MJ, Craig FE, Mann RB, Stewart SL, Shema SJ, Ambinder RF. (2004). Inter- and intra-observer reliability of Epstein-Barr virus detection in Hodgkin lymphoma using histochemical procedures. Leukemia & Lymphoma, 45(3):489-97.
- Horn-Ross PL, Canchola AJ, West DW, Stewart SL, Bernstein L, Deapen D, Pinder R, Ross RK, Anton-Culver H, Peel D, Ziogas A, Reynolds P, Wright W. (2004). Patterns of alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk in the California Teachers Study cohort. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 13(3):405-11.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Chang S, Banks PJ. (2004). Then and now: quality of life of young breast cancer survivors. Psychooncology, 13(3):147-60.
- Hoggatt KJ, Stewart SL, Pasick R, Sabogal F, Tuason N, McBride MR, Duenas GV, Horn-Ross PL. (2004). Comparison of methods for identifying a population-based sample of Filipina women for a health survey. Ethnicity & Disease, 14(1):21-5.
- Horn-Ross PL, John EM, Canchola AJ, Stewart SL, Lee MM. (2003). Phytoestrogen intake and endometrial cancer risk. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 95(15):1158-64.
- Levitt MA, Johnson S, Engelstad L, Montana R, Stewart S. (2003). Clinical management of chlamydia and gonorrhea infection in a county teaching emergency department--concerns in overtreatment, undertreatment, and follow-up treatment success. The Journal of Emergency Medicine, 25(1):7-11.
- Haselkorn T, Stewart SL, Horn-Ross PL. (2003). Why are thyroid cancer rates so high in southeast Asian women living in the United States? The bay area thyroid cancer study. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 12(2):144-50.
- Otero-Sabogal R, Stewart S, Sabogal F, Brown BA, Pérez-Stable EJ. (2003). Access and attitudinal factors related to breast and cervical cancer rescreening: why are Latinas still underscreened? Health Education & Behavior, 30(3):337-59.
- Prehn AW, Topol B, Stewart S, Glaser SL, O'Connor L, West DW. (2002). Differences in treatment patterns for localized breast carcinoma among Asian/Pacific islander women. Cancer, 95(11):2268-75.
- Horn-Ross PL, Hoggatt KJ, West DW, Krone MR, Stewart SL, Anton H, Bernstei CL, Deapen D, Peel D, Pinder R, Reynolds P, Ross RK, Wright W, Ziogas A. (2002). Recent diet and breast cancer risk: the California Teachers Study (USA). Cancer Causes & Control, 13(5):407-15.
- Lin SS, Glaser SL, Stewart SL. (2002). Reliability of self-reported reproductive factors and childhood social class indicators in a case-control study in women. Annals of Epidemiology, 12(4):242-7.
- Kaplan CP, Erickson PI, Stewart SL, Crane LA. (2001). Young Latinas and abortion: the role of cultural factors, reproductive behavior, and alternative roles to motherhood. Health Care for Women International, 22(7):667-89.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Johnston M, Banks P, Fobair P. (2001). Sources of support and the physical and mental well-being of young women with breast cancer. Social Science & Medicine, 53(11):1513-24.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Koo J, Hiatt RA. (2001). Cancer screening in public health clinics: the importance of clinic utilization. Medical Care, 39(12):1345-51.
- Engelstad LP, Stewart SL, Nguyen BH, Bedeian KL, Rubin MM, Pasick RJ, Hiatt RA. (2001). Abnormal Pap smear follow-up in a high-risk population. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 10(10):1015-20.
- Horn-Ross PL, Morris JS, Lee M, West DW, Whittemore AS, McDougall IR, Nowels K, Stewart SL, Spate VL, Shiau AC, Krone MR. (2001). Iodine and thyroid cancer risk among women in a multiethnic population: the Bay Area Thyroid Cancer Study. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 10(9):979-85.
- Pasick RJ, Stewart SL, Bird JA, D'Onofrio CN. (2001). Quality of data in multiethnic health surveys. Public Health Reports, 116(1 Suppl):223-43.
- Hiatt RA, Pasick RJ, Stewart S, Bloom J, Davis P, Gardiner P, Johnston M, Luce J, Schorr K, Brunner W, Stroud F. (2001). Community-based cancer screening for underserved women: design and baseline findings from the Breast and Cervical Cancer Intervention Study. Preventive Medicine, 33(3):190-203.
- Horn-Ross PL, John EM, Lee M, Stewart SL, Koo J, Sakoda LC, Shiau AC, Goldstein J, Davis P, Perez-Stable EJ. (2001). Phytoestrogen consumption and breast cancer risk in a multiethnic population: the Bay Area Breast Cancer Study. American Journal of Epidemiology, 154(5):434-41.
- Kaplan CP, Nápoles-Springer A, Stewart SL, Pérez-Stable EJ. (2001). Smoking acquisition among adolescents and young Latinas: the role of socioenvironmental and personal factors. Addictive Behaviors, 26(4):531-50.
- Bloom JR, Thornton D, Stewart SL, Fobair P, Varghese A, Hancock S. (2000). The effect of risk notification on mood in long-term survivors of Hodgkin's disease. Risk, Decision and Policy, 5(3):225-237.
- Dolecek TA, Lawhun G, Vann S, Snodgrass JL, Stewart SL. (2000). Hispanic identification in the Illinois State Cancer Registry. Journal of Registry Management, 27:43-50.
- Krieger N, Quesenberry C Jr, Peng T, Horn-Ross P, Stewart S, Brown S, Swallen K, Guillermo T, Suh D, Alvarez-Martinez L, Ward F. (1999). Social class, race/ethnicity, and incidence of breast, cervix, colon, lung, and prostate cancer among Asian, Black, Hispanic, and White residents of the San Francisco Bay Area, 1988-92 (United States). Cancer Causes & Control, 10(6):525-37.
- Lee MM, Lee F, Stewart S, McPhee S. (1999). Cancer screening practices among primary care physicians serving Chinese Americans in San Francisco. Western Journal of Medicine, 170(3):148-55.
- Bloom JR, D’Onofrio C, Banks P, Stewart SL, Johnston M, Morrow M, Fobair P, Weisberg S. (1999). A psychoeducational group intervention for young women with breast cancer: design and process evaluation. Cancer Res Ther Cont , 8:93-102.
- Stewart SL, Swallen KC, Glaser SL, Horn-Ross PL, West DW. (1999). Comparison of methods for classifying Hispanic ethnicity in a population-based cancer registry. American Journal of Epidemiology, 149(11):1063-71.
- Swallen KC, Glaser SL, Stewart SL, West DW, Jenkins CN, McPhee SJ. (1998). Accuracy of racial classification of Vietnamese patients in a population-based cancer registry. Ethnicity & Disease, 8(2):218-27.
- Stewart SL, Swallen KC, Glaser SL, Horn-Ross PL, West DW. (1998). Adjustment of cancer incidence rates for ethnic misclassification. Biometrics, 54(2):774-81.
- Bloom JR, Stewart SL, Johnston M, Banks P. (1998). Intrusiveness of illness and quality of life in young women with breast cancer. Psychooncology, 7(2):89-100.
- deVere White RW, Deitch AD, Jackson AG, Gandour-Edwards R, Marshalleck J, Soares SE, Toscano SN, Lunetta JM, Stewart SL. (1998). Racial differences in clinically localized prostate cancers of black and white men. The Journal of Urology, 159(6):1979-193.
- Mack PC, Chi SG, Meyers FJ, Stewart SL, deVere White RW, Gumerlock PH. (1998). Increased RB1 abnormalities in human primary prostate cancer following combined androgen blockade. Prostate, 34(2):145-51.
- Jenkins CN, McPhee SJ, Le A, Pham GQ, Ha NT, Stewart S. (1997). The effectiveness of a media-led intervention to reduce smoking among Vietnamese-American men. American Journal of Public Health, 87(6):1031-1034.
- Glaser S, Lin R, Stewart S, Ambinder R, Jarrett R, Delsol G, Pallesen G, Gulley M, Khan G, O'Grady J, Hummel M, Preciado M, Knecht H, Claviez A. (1997). Epstein-Barr virus-associated Hodgkin's disease: epidemiologic characteristics in international data. International Journal of Cancer. Journal International du Cancer, 70(4):375-82.
- de Vere White R, Meyers F, Chi SG, Chamberlain S, Siders D, Lee F, Stewart S, Gumerlock PH. (1997). Human androgen receptor expression in prostate cancer following androgen ablation. European Urology, 31(1):1-6.
- Swallen KC, West DW, Stewart SL, Glaser SL, Horn-Ross PL. (1997). Predictors of misclassification of Hispanic ethnicity in a population-based cancer registry. Annals of Epidemiology, 7(3):200-6.
- Jenkins CN, Dai PX, Ngoc DH, Kinh HV, Hoang TT, Bales S, Stewart S, McPhee SJ. (1997). Tobacco use in Vietnam. Prevalence, predictors, and the role of the transnational tobacco corporations. JAMA: the Journal of the American Medical Association, 277(21):1726-31.
- McPhee SJ, Stewart S, Brock KC, Bird JA, Jenkins CN, Pham GQ. (1997). Factors associated with breast and cervical cancer screening practices among Vietnamese American women. Cancer Detection and Prevention, 21(6):510-21.
- Borchers H, Meyers FJ, Gumerlock PH, Stewart SL, deVere White RW. (1996). NM23 gene expression in human prostatic carcinomas and benign prostatic hyperplasias: altered expression in combined androgen blockaded carcinomas. The Journal of Urology, 155(6):2080-4.
- Lee M, Lee F, Stewart S. (1996). Pathways to Early Breast and Cervical Detection for Chinese American Women. Health Education Quarterly, 23:S76-S88.
- Engelstad L, Bedeian K, Schorr K, Stewart S. (1996). Pathways to early detection of cervical cancer for a multi-ethnic, indigent emergency department population. Health Education Quarterly, 23:S89-S104.
- Hiatt RA, Pasick R, Perez-Stable E, McPhee S, Engelstad L, Lee M, D'Onofrio C, Stewart S. (1996). Pathways to early cancer detection in the multi-ethnic population of the San Francisco bay area. Health Education Quarterly, 23:S10-S27.
- Jenkins CN, Le T, McPhee SJ, Stewart S, Ha NT. (1996). Health care access and preventive care among Vietnamese immigrants: do traditional beliefs and practices pose barriers? Social Science & Medicine, 43(7):1049-56.
- Gould JB, Davey B, LeRoy S. (1989). Socioeconomic differentials and neonatal mortality: racial comparison of California singletons. Pediatrics, 83(2):181-6.
- Gould JB, LeRoy S. (1988). Socioeconomic status and low birth weight: a racial comparison. Pediatrics, 82(6):896-904.