Department of Public Health Sciences
| Associate Professor, DrPH|
Division of Epidemiology
Dr. Cress's CV
|My current research activities include use of cancer registry data to identify disparities in treatment and survival for patients with ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer and lung cancer. I also am actively involved with expanding cancer epidemiology and population sciences at the UC Davis Cancer Center, where I work with academic and clinical researchers to identify areas where California Cancer Registry and SEER data can be used to answer questions about cancer diagnosis, treatment and survival.|
|DrPH, Epidemiology , Tulane University, New Orleans, 1991|
|MPH, Epidemiology , Tulane University, New Orleans, 1983|
|BS, Education, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, 1971|
|Delta Omega (Public Health Honorary), 1991|
- Kimmick G, Fleming ST, Sabatino SA, Wu XC, Hwang W, Wilson JF, Lund MJ, Cress R, Anderson RT; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Program of Cancer Registry Patterns of Care Study Group. (2014). Comorbidity burden and guideline-concordant care for breast cancer. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 62(3):482-8.
- Tsai RJ, Luckhaupt SE, Schumacher P, Cress RD, Deapen DM, Calvert GM. (2014). Acute myeloid leukemia risk by industry and occupation. Leukemia & Lymphoma, Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lara MS, Brunson A, Wun T, Tomlinson B, Qi L, Cress R, Gandara DR, Kelly K. (2014). Predictors of survival for younger patients less than 50 years of age with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a California Cancer Registry analysis. Lung Cancer, 85(2):264-9.
- Sabatino SA, Thompson TD, Wu XC, Fleming ST, Kimmick GG, Trentham-Dietz A, Cress R, Anderson RT. (2014). The influence of diabetes severity on receipt of guideline-concordant treatment for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 146(1):199-209.
- Potosky AL, Harlan LC, Albritton K,. Cress RD, Friedman DL, Hamilton AS, Kato I, Keegan THM, Keel G, Schwartz SM, Seibel NL, Shnorhavorian M, West MM, Wu XC, and the AYA HOPE Study Collaborative Group. (2014). Use of Appropriate Initial Treatment Among Adolescents and Young Adults with Cancer. JNCI, In Press
- Simmons RG, Lee YC, Stroup AM, Edwards SL, Rogers A, Johnson C, Wiggins CL, Hill DA, Cress RD, Lowery J, Walters ST, Jasperson K, Higginbotham JC, Williams MS, Burt RW, Schwartz MD, Kinney AY. (2013). Examining the challenges of family recruitment to behavioral intervention trials: factors associated with participation and enrollment in a multi-state colonoscopy intervention trial. Trials, 30(14):116.
- Allemani C, Sant M, Weir HK, Richardson LC, Baili P, Storm H, Siesling S, Torrella-Ramos A, Voogd AC, Aareleid T, Ardanaz E, Berrino F, Bielska-Lasota M, Bolick S, Cirilli C, Colonna M, Contiero P, Cress R, Crocetti E, Fulton JP, Grosclaude P, Hakulinen T, Izarzugaza MI, Malmstrom P, Peignaux K, Primic-Zakelj M, Rachtan J, Safaei Diba C, Sanchez MJ, Schymura MJ, Shen T, Traina A, Tryggvadottir L, Tumino R, Velten M, Vercelli M, Wolf HJ, Woronoff AS, Wu X, Coleman MP. (2013). Breast cancer survival in the US and Europe: a CONCORD high-resolution study. International Journal of Cancer, 132(5):1170-81.
- Morris CR, Liu L, Rodriguez AO, Cress RD, Snipes K. (2013). Epidemiologic features of borderline ovarian tumors in California: a population-based study. Cancer Causes Control, 24(4):665-74.
- Fleming ST, Kimmick GG, Sabatino SA, Cress RD, Wu XC, Trentham-Dietz A, Huang B, Hwang W, Liff JM; Patterns of Care Study Group. (2012). Defining care provided for breast cancer based on medical record review or Medicare claims: information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Patterns of Care Study. Annals of Epidemiology, 22(11):807-13.
- O'Malley C, Shema SJ, Cress RD, Bauer K, Kahn AR, Schymura MJ, Wike JM, Stewart SL. (2012). The implications of age and comorbidity on survival following epithelial ovarian cancer: summary and results from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study. Journal of Women's Health, 21(9):887-94.
- Luckhaupt SE, Deapen D, Cress R, Schumacher P, Shen R, Calvert GM. (2012). Leukemia among male construction workers in California, 1988-2007. Leukemia & Lymphoma, 53(11):2228-36.
- McCusker ME, Cress RD, Allen M, Fernandez-Ami A, Gandour-Edwards R. (2012). Feasibility of linking population-based cancer registries and cancer center biorepositories. Biopreservation and Biobanking, 10(5):416-20.
- Calvert GM, Luckhaupt S, Lee SJ, Cress R, Schumacher P, Shen R, Tak S, Deapen D. (2012). Lung cancer risk among construction workers in California, 1988-2007. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 55(5):412-22.
- Aaronson DS, Odisho AY, Hills N, Cress R, Carroll PR, Dudley RA, Cooperberg MR. (2012). Proton beam therapy and treatment for localized prostate cancer: if you build it, they will come. JAMA Internal Medicine Formerly Archives of Internal Medicine, 172(3):280-3.
- Cress RD, Bauer K, O'Malley CD, Kahn AR, Schymura MJ, Wike JM, Stewart SL, Leiserowitz GS. (2011). Surgical staging of early stage epithelial ovarian cancer: results from the CDC-NPCR ovarian patterns of care study. Gynecologic Oncology, 121(1):94-9.
- Cress RD, Leiserowitz GS. (2011). Re: Surgical staging of early stage epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology, 122(2):461-2.
- Vanderveen KA, Canter RJ, Yin D, Cress RD, Bold RJ. (2011). Factors affecting treatment delivery and outcomes of patients with early-stage pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreas, 40(3):480-2.
- Fleming ST, Sabatino SA, Kimmick G, Cress R, Wu XC, Trentham-Dietz A, Huang B, Hwang W, Liff J. (2011). Developing a claim-based version of the ACE-27 comorbidity index: a comparison with medical record review. Medical Care, 49(8):752-60.
- Harlan LC, Lynch CF, Keegan TH, Hamilton AS, Wu XC, Kato I, West MM, Cress RD, Schwartz SM, Smith AW, Deapen D, Stringer SM, Potosky AL; AYA HOPE Study Collaborative Group. (2011). Recruitment and follow-up of adolescent and young adult cancer survivors: the AYA HOPE Study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 5(3):305-14.
- Yin D, Morris C, Allen M, Cress R, Bates J, Liu L. (2010). Does socioeconomic disparity in cancer incidence vary across racial/ethnic groups? Cancer Causes Control, 21(10):1721-30.
- Schymura MJ1, Kahn AR, German RR, Hsieh MC, Cress RD, Finch JL, Fulton JP, Shen T, Stuckart E. (2010). Factors associated with initial treatment and survival for clinically localized prostate cancer: results from the CDC-NPCR Patterns of Care Study (PoC1). BMC Cancer, 19(10):152.
- Smith-Gagen J, Cress RD, Drake CM, Romano PS, Yost KJ, Ayanian JZ. (2010). Quality-of-life and surgical treatments for rectal cancer--a longitudinal analysis using the California Cancer Registry. Psychooncology, 19(8):870-8.
- Lu Y, Sullivan-Halley J, Henderson KD, Ma H, Horn-Ross PL, Reynolds P, Cress R, Bernstein L. (2010). Anthropometric characteristics and multiple myeloma risk. Epidemiology, 21(2):272-3.
- Cress RD, Sabatino SA, Wu XC, Schymura MJ, Rycroft R, Stuckart E, Fulton J, Shen T. (2009). Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Patients with Stage III Colon Cancer: Results from a CDC-NPCR Patterns of Care Study. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology, 3:107-19.
- Parikh-Patel A, White RH, Allen M, Cress R. (2009). Risk of cancer among rheumatoid arthritis patients in California. Cancer Causes Control, 20(6):1001-10.
- Vanderveen KA, Chen SL, Yin D, Cress RD, Bold RJ. (2009). Benefit of postoperative adjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer: A population-based analysis. Cancer, 115(11):2420-9.
- Leiserowitz GS, Xing G, Parikh-Patel A, Cress R, Abidi A, Rodriguez AO, Dalrymple JL. (2009). Laparoscopic versus abdominal hysterectomy for endometrial cancer: comparison of patient outcomes. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, 19(8):1370-6.
- Dahling MT, Xing G, Cress R, Danielsen B, Smith LH. (2009). Pregnancy-associated colon and rectal cancer: perinatal and cancer outcomes. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 22(3):204-11.
- Joseph DA, Miller JW, Wu X, Chen VW, Morris CR, Goodman MT, Villalon-Gomez JM, Williams MA, Cress RD. (2008). Understanding the burden of human papillomavirus-associated anal cancers in the US. Cancer, 113(10 SUppl):2892-900.
- Rodriguez AO, Chew H, Cress R, Xing G, McElvy S, Danielsen B, Smith L. (2008). Evidence of poorer survival in pregnancy-associated breast cancer. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 112(1):71-8.
- Parikh-Patel A, White RH, Allen M, Cress R. (2008). Cancer risk in a cohort of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in California. Cancer Causes Control, 19(8):887-94.
- Wu X, Richardson LC, Kahn AR, Fulton JP, Cress RD, Shen T, Wolf HJ, Bolick-Aldrich S, Chen VW. (2008). Survival difference between non-Hispanic black and non-Hispanic white women with localized breast cancer: the impact of guideline-concordant therapy. Journal of the National Medical Association, 100(5):490-8.
- Morris CR, Rodriguez AO, Epstein J, Cress RD. (2008). Declining trends of epithelial ovarian cancer in California. Gynecologic Oncology, 108(1):207-13.
- Chan JK, Kapp DS, Shin JY, Osann K, Leiserowitz GS, Cress RD, O'Malley C. (2008). Factors associated with the suboptimal treatment of women less than 55 years of age with early-stage ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology, 108(1):95-9.
- Templeman C, Marshall SF, Ursin G, Horn-Ross PL, Clarke CA, Allen M, Deapen D, Ziogas A, Reynolds P, Cress R, Anton-Culver H, West D, Ross RK, Bernstein L. (2008). Adenomyosis and endometriosis in the California Teachers Study. Fertility and Sterility, 90(2):415-24.
- Abidi, A., Xing G, Nasseri, K., Cress, R., Mourton, S., Leiserowitz, G. (2008). Age and race disparity in incidence, treatment and survival of cervical cancer in California. Gynecologic Oncology, 111(2):384.
- Chan JK, Kapp DS, Shin JY, Husain A, Teng NN, Berek JS, Osann K, Leiserowitz GS, Cress RD, O'Malley C. (2007). Influence of the gynecologic oncologist on the survival of ovarian cancer patients. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 109(6):1342-50.
- Bauer KR, Brown M, Cress RD, Parise CA, Caggiano V. (2007). Descriptive analysis of estrogen receptor (ER)-negative, progesterone receptor (PR)-negative, and HER2-negative invasive breast cancer, the so-called triple-negative phenotype: a population-based study from the California cancer Registry. Cancer, 109(9):1721-8.
- Hessol NA, Pipkin S, Schwarcz S, Cress RD, Bacchetti P, Scheer S. (2007). The impact of highly active antiretroviral therapy on non-AIDS-defining cancers among adults with AIDS. American Journal of Epidemiology, 165(10):1143-53.
- Cress RD, Morris C, Ellison GL, Goodman MT. (2006). Secular changes in colorectal cancer incidence by subsite, stage at diagnosis, and race/ethnicity, 1992-2001. Cancer, 107(5 Suppl):1142-52.
- Leiserowitz GS, Xing G, Cress R, Brahmbhatt B, Dalrymple JL, Smith LH. (2006). Adnexal masses in pregnancy: how often are they malignant? Gynecologic Oncology, 101(2):315-21.
- Cress RD, Yin D, Clarke L, Bold R, Holly EA. (2006). Survival among patients with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: a population-based study (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 17(4):403-9.
- Young HA, Mills PK, Riordan DG, Cress RD. (2005). Triazine herbicides and epithelial ovarian cancer risk in central California. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 47(11):1148-56.
- Dalrymple JL, Gilbert WM, Leiserowitz GS, Cress R, Xing G, Danielsen B, Smith LH. (2005). Pregnancy-associated cervical cancer: obstetric outcomes. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 17(4):269-76.
- Yasmeen S, Cress R, Romano PS, Xing G, Berger-Chen S, Danielsen B, Smith LH. (2005). Thyroid cancer in pregnancy. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 91(1):15-20.
- Smith LH, Morris CR, Yasmeen S, Parikh-Patel A, Cress RD, Romano PS. (2005). Ovarian cancer: can we make the clinical diagnosis earlier? Cancer, 107(7):1398-407.
- Ayanian JZ, Zaslavsky AM, Guadagnoli E, Fuchs CS, Yost KJ, Creech CM, Cress RD, O'Connor LC, West DW, Wright WE. (2005). Patients' perceptions of quality of care for colorectal cancer by race, ethnicity, and language. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23(27):6576-86.
- Smith-Gagen J, Cress RD, Drake CM, Felter MC, Beaumont JJ. (2005). Factors associated with time to availability for cases reported to population-based cancer registries. Cancer Causes Control, 16(4):449-54.
- Mills PK, Riordan DG, Cress RD, Goldsmith DF. (2005). Hormone replacement therapy and invasive and borderline epithelial ovarian cancer risk. Cancer Detection and Prevention, 29(2):124-32.
- O'Meara AT, Cress R, Xing G, Danielsen B, Smith LH. (2005). Malignant melanoma in pregnancy. A population-based evaluation. Cancer, 103(6):1217-26.
- Mills PK, Riordan DG, Cress RD. (2004). Epithelial ovarian cancer risk by invasiveness and cell type in the Central Valley of California. Gynecologic Oncology, 95(1):215-25.
- Young HA, Mills PK, Riordan D, Cress R. (2004). Use of a crop and job specific exposure matrix for estimating cumulative exposure to triazine herbicides among females in a case-control study in the Central Valley of California. Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 61(11):945-51.
- Mills PK, Riordan DG, Cress RD, Young HA. (2004). Perineal talc exposure and epithelial ovarian cancer risk in the Central Valley of California. International Journal of Cancer, 112(3):458-64.
- Harris DH, Bates JH, Cress R, Tabnak F, Wright WE. (2004). Stage of breast cancer diagnosis among medically underserved women in California receiving mammography through a state screening program. Cancer Causes Control, 15(7):721-9.
- Smith LH, Danielsen B, Allen ME, Cress R. (2003). Cancer associated with obstetric delivery: results of linkage with the California cancer registry. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 189(4):1128-35.
- O'Malley CD, Cress RD, Campleman SL, Leiserowitz GS. (2003). Survival of Californian women with epithelial ovarian cancer, 1994-1996: a population-based study. Gynecologic Oncology, 91(3):608-15.
- Cress RD, Zaslavsky AM, West DW, Wolf RE, Felter MC, Ayanian JZ. (2003). Completeness of information on adjuvant therapies for colorectal cancer in population-based cancer registries. Medical Care, 41(9):1006-12.
- Ayanian JZ, Zaslavsky AM, Fuchs CS, Guadagnoli E, Creech CM, Cress RD, O'Connor LC, West DW, Allen ME, Wolf RE, Wright WE. (2003). Use of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation therapy for colorectal cancer in a population-based cohort. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 21(7):1293-300.
- Cress RD, O'Malley CD, Leiserowitz GS, Campleman SL. (2003). Patterns of chemotherapy use for women with ovarian cancer: a population-based study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 21(8):1530-5.
- Cress RD, Holly EA. (2003). Incidence of anal cancer in California: increased incidence among men in San Francisco, 1973-1999. Preventive Medicine, 36(5):555-60.
- Schroen AT, Cress RD. (2001). Use of surgical procedures and adjuvant therapy in rectal cancer treatment: a population-based study. Annals of Surgery, 234(5):641-51.
- Cress RD, Morris CR, Wolfe BM. (2000). Cancer of the colon and rectum in California: trends in incidence by race/ethnicity, stage, and subsite. Preventive Medicine, 31(4):447-53.
- LeTendre D, Cress RD, Riddle S, Creech CM. (2000). Where did they really live? Resolving discrepancies in address at diagnosis. Journal of Registry Management , 27(2):57-59.
- Cress RD, Davidson-Sawyer K. (1999). Conversion from SEER Extent of Disease to AJCC Stage
. Journal of Registry Management , 26(3):89-91.
- Cress RD, Davidson-Sawyer K. (1997). Cancer of the colon and rectum in California: Anatomic site and stage at diagnosis by gender and race/ethnicity. Journal of Registry Management , 24(4):120-4.
- Cress RD, Holly EA. (1997). Reduced risk of cutaneous melanoma among women who use sunscreen. Melanoma Letter , 15:1-4.
- Cress RD, Holly EA. (1997). Incidence of cutaneous melanoma among non-Hispanic whites, Hispanics, Asians, and blacks: an analysis of california cancer registry data, 1988-93. Cancer Causes Control, 8(2):246-52.
- Cress RD, Davidson-Sawyer K. (1996). Cutaneous melanoma among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white men and women in California, 1988-1993. Journal of Registry Management, 23(1):24-7.
- Cress RD, Holly EA, Ahn DK, LeBoit PE, Sagebiel RW. (1995). Cutaneous melanoma in women: anatomic distribution in relation to sun exposure and phenotype. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 4(8):831-6.
- Cress RD, Holly EA, Ahn DK. (1995). Cutaneous melanoma in women. V. Characteristics of those who tan and those who burn when exposed to summer sun. Epidemiology, 6(5):538-43.
- Holly EA, Cress RD, Ahn DK. (1995). Cutaneous melanoma in women. III. Reproductive factors and oral contraceptive use. American Journal of Epidemiology, 141(10):943-50.
- Holly EA, Aston DA, Cress RD, Ahn DK, Kristiansen JJ. (1995). Cutaneous melanoma in women. II. Phenotypic characteristics and other host-related factors. American Journal of Epidemiology, 141(10):934-42.
- Holly EA, Aston DA, Cress RD, Ahn DK, Kristiansen JJ. (1995). Cutaneous melanoma in women. I. Exposure to sunlight, ability to tan, and other risk factors related to ultraviolet light. American Journal of Epidemiology, 141(10):923-33.
- Holly EA, Cress RD, Ahn DK. (1994). Cutaneous melanoma in women: ovulatory life, menopause, and use of exogenous estrogens. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 3(8):661-8.
- Holly EA, Cress RD. (1994). Melanoma and pregnancy. In: Gallagher RP, Elwood JM, eds. Epidemiological aspects of cutaneous malignant melanoma. Boston: Kluwer Acad Pub,:209-21.
- Cress RD, Holly EA, Ahn DK, Kristiansen JJ, Aston DA. (1994). Contraceptive use among women smokers and nonsmokers in the San Francisco Bay area. Preventive Medicine, 23(2):181-9.
- Cress RD, Holly EA, Aston DA, Ahn DK, Kristiansen JJ. (1994). Characteristics of women nonsmokers exposed to passive smoke. Preventive Medicine, 23(1):40-7.
- Holly EA, Cress RD, Ahn DK, Aston DA, Kristiansen JJ, Wu R, Felton JS. (1993). Detection of mutagens in cervical mucus in smokers and nonsmokers. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 2(3):223-8.
- Holly EA, Cress RD, Ahn DK, Aston DA, Kristiansen JJ, Felton JS. (1992). Characteristics of women by smoking status in the San Francisco Bay Area. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 107(6):491-7.